January 12, 2015

Jose R. Gullas Halad Museum

11:11 PM Posted by Unknown , No comments
For me, part of making my travel beautiful is being with strangers. You learn new culture, new personalities and enlarge your world.


I was once stuck with strangers when I was in Cebu. It was embarrassing actually, I defiled rules! In a museum...of the largest Diocese in the Philippines. In a museum where taking photos are not allowed I mis-looked on the details and took photos! Then, these fine ladies noticed me but did not react until we find each other inside Msgr. Virgilio Yap Memorial Chapel for the last tour in the Cathedral Museum. We exchanged thoughts and I learned they were aspiring sisters and also having their tour in Cebu because they were just transferred to their Formation House. When I told them I were from Mindanao and aspiring also for the priesthood they offered me company to other Museums in Cebu and that's how I discovered the Halad Museum.


Halad Museum was established in 2010 by Jose R. Gullas. Halad is a visayan term which means offering or tribute. This is a tribute of the founder to his parents who were also founders of the University of Visayas. Its aim is to preserve and uphold that truly Cebuano Music. Inside the Halad Museum, one would see musical instruments both western and native ones played and owned by some of the renowned Cebuano artists.


Other materials inside the Museum are awards of medals and certificates, original music sheets penned by Cebuano composers and life stories of Cebuano artists who excelled here and abroad.

Walls are donned with paintings depicting that richness of Cebuano musical heritage. Paintings depicting zarzuela performances, fiyestas with singing and the Filipino traditional way of courting "Harana."


Once inside, one cannot but envy and be proud of being Pinoy!

Songs by Cebuano singers are immortalized in digital music stations to present it more powerfully to visitors.

Life size statue of the founder,
Jose R. Gullas

How To Get There: The Halad Museum is located at V. Gullas St. and Jakosalem St., Cebu City. A ticket of Php 10 for every visitors are paid during entrance.

0 comment (s):

Post a Comment